Tuesday, September 1, 2009

first day of school

Today was Whyboy's first day of first grade. All I can say is what a difference a year makes. Last year he clung to us, tentatively walking in with his class, looking back to see if we would follow. J was the only parent, who stayed on the playground in the morning, those first few months. Whyboy needed him there, and J needed to be there. Slowly he felt more sure of himself, and found his way on the playground and in the classroom.

Last week when we went to meet his teacher, he announced "I love the smell of school!" Over the year he grew to love school and embrace the community. This morning he threw down his backpack and took off to the playground, looking for friends. He cheerfully greeted his classmates from last year, and was happy that some would be in the same class this year. He walked confidently up the stairs, into first grade with his class, without a look back. My tentative kindergartner had become a confident first grader. I watched him disappear into the building, with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes...I now know why my mom cried every year on the first day of school....Bittersweet. It's going to be a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment