Saturday, August 29, 2009

summer dinners

Last night was a perfect late August night...golden sunshine, a slight breeze. We enjoyed a light dinner on the deck, savoring the evening. Heirloom tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, and olive oil all combine to make a lovely salad, mmm...summer.

The gentle breeze soon became a cool wind, I awoke to a chilly morning. I bundled up and headed up to market for 6:30. The cooler temps had me thinking about comfort food; something warm, hearty. Everywhere I looked, there were eggplants. I decided it would be a good night for eggplant parmesan. The day has been cool and grey, with temps in the 50's, lows into the 40's tonight (did I mention that it is August?). I bought Juilet tomatoes to make the sauce, 2 medium eggplants, basil and fresh mozzarella. When I got home I started the tomato sauce, and sliced and broiled the eggplant. I do a lighter version of eggplant parmesan, adapted from a Deborah Madison recipe. Instead of breading and frying the eggplant, I brush it with oil and broil it (sometimes I grill it). It is then layered in the dish with the cheese, bread crumbs, chopped basil, and sauce. I guess it is more of a gratin. The freshness of the ingredients shines through. It is one of my favorite dishes.

Okra was also at the market. Tomorrow night's supper: Gumbo with chicken and sausage. I love shopping like this. Seeing what is available and designing meals around seasonal produce. I read cookbooks like novels, there is usually one at my bedside. Reading cookbooks has made me a more intuitive cook. Over time you start to see patterns of flavors and combinations. That knowledge, along with a well stocked pantry and local seasonal produce leads to incredible meals. A few of my favorite cookbooks: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison; Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet and Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that all sounds so yummy! Thanks for the book recommendations. I think I'll look for those in the library. The weather is cool here, too. Definitely soup and stew weather!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid are from Toronto, I love their cookbooks. Cooking with them is like traveling around the world in your kitchen. Vegetarian Cooking is my goto book for preparing vegetables, it is my favorite of Madison's books.

    ReplyDelete