Monday, September 7, 2009

cold hands

My hands are almost always cold. Last week when the morning temps dipped into the 40's (did mention it was August?), I realized: I am a knitter....I can knit warmth for my hands. I didn't really want to drag out my mittens, I mean it was August...I didn't want to look like a total dork. I decided on fingerless mitts (ok, I still look like a dork). For yarn I chose handspun, 'Cherry Pie', a corrie-cross dyed by Gale's Art. I spun the yarn as singles, using a woolen draw and low twist, fulling them slightly in the finishing. I followed Amy King's instructions, for fulling singles, in Spin Control. I was afraid I would felt them...but I didn't. The resulting yarn is very soft and slightly fuzzy.

Now I needed a pattern. A quick search on ravelry pulled up the Maine Morning Mitts by Clara Parks from the Knitter's Book of Yarn. How convenient, I own that book! Being a displaced Mainer, knitting Maine Morning Mitts made me smile. The pattern is very easy, and relaxing. It is the perfect end of summer, heading into fall knitting. I finished them up in a few days. Of course, now it has warmed up again, but I know fall is around the corner. Now I am ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment