Monday, September 28, 2009

eat local


This week is the Wisconsin Eat Local Challenge. Why eat local? I eat local to support a sustainable local economy, to decrease the distance my food has traveled, and because I feel more connected to my food if I know where it came from. Eating locally allows me to be connected to the seasons. I get excited when asparagus makes it appearance in the spring, long for tomato sandwiches, wait patiently for fall apples, and cozy up with winter squash when the weather gets cold.

Now that it is fall we will be grilling less, so I figured we would do one last hurrah on Saturday: Grilled grass fed beef, salad greens with feta and raspberries, and roasted potatoes and onions. We washed it down with a bottle of wine, while sitting on the deck listening to baseball. Good-bye summer we will see you next year. I'll be waiting for the tomatoes.

The weather turned cold on Sunday. Making me think about comfort food. The last of the corn was at market, so I made a lovely corn chowder. I also bought peppers for stuffed peppers, and beets for roasting.
I encourage you to get out and experience some local food this week. Visit a Farmer's Market, local farm stand, or orchard and sample what is in season in your area.


5 comments:

  1. This weekend we went to a local garden fair at a historical site where they have recreated an organic Victorian garden. It was great fun and we got to sample all kinds of yummy produce from the garden. Her'e to local food!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun!! In fall I am all about local apples. I love tasting all the varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too! We've gone apple-picking twice so far this year and there's a new orchard I found out about that we're hoping to try this weekend. Of course, my daughters all love to pick (and eat) the apples.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I am loving the Macouns. They are very crisp and tasty, tart with a bit of sweet. They are my favorite apples, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen those around here. I'll have to keep on the lookout for them.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete