Tuesday, July 14, 2009

socks...







Many knitters have answered the question why knit socks? I always have socks on the needles, at least a few pairs going at once. I generally knit them 2 at a time, so no more orphaned socks in the knitting basket. They are portable and I have a bit of an unhealthy addiction to sock yarn....really I can 't resist it. Lately I have been spinning my own sock yarn from lovely batts from Enchanted Knoll Happy Hooves batts created by the lovely Farm-witch. This hasn't stopped me from buying sock yarn, though. Last Friday I spent 6 hours in a computer training for work (I never sit that long without knitting or spinning), after that I just needed a fix. You know that feeling, you just have to go look, fondle, smell some yarn. I headed to the Sow's Ear, ya' know 'just to look'. After all I am on a yarn diet, and I am supposed to be finishing things....plus I just cast-on a pair of socks a few days ago. Well, I totally fell for some Mini Mochi in the Rainbow colorway. Cast them on in the shop, while sipping lemonade. There is no better feeling then buying yarn and casting on. I did need some vanilla socks for knitting at work during my lunch. The Mini Mochi is so soft and fuzzy. It is a single, not plied, a blend of sw wool and nylon. I am knitting it at a gage of 9 sts/in, hopefully they will wear well.

I finished a pair of Monkeys out of my handspun (March Happy Hooves, Cabaret). I love the pattern so much, I immediately cast on another pair this time in my One Fish, Two Fish handspun (May Happy Hooves) for my friend, Susan. I have knit her 2 pairs of socks, and she loves them dearly (even offered to buy me sock yarn...little does she know what lurks in the stash). I don't mind knitting for non-knitters, who are wool worthy.

When I pulled out my newly cast-on vanilla socks at lunch, my friend PK looked at me wondering when her socks will be done. I assured her they would be ready for fall, not like she can wear them now. She picked out the yarn last Sept. at the WI Sheep and Wool Festival from Creatively Dyed. I am currently at the heel...half done. Maybe she will have them for this year's festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment