Saturday, July 18, 2009

farmer's market



Most Saturday mornings, at 6:30 (from late April to early November) you will find me at Dane County Farmer's Market. Cooking with local, fresh ingredients is one of my passions. I love going to market, strolling around the square with my friends, and chatting with the farmers. I have developed friendships with many of these farmer's over the years. Join me for a walk around the square.

6:15: I get my coffee, and join G. on the bench to wait for the rest of the crew. Bill from Snug Haven Farm stops by to chat and give me the rundown on the tomato varieties he has available today. By 6:30 there are 6 of us who set off around the square.

My first stop is at Snug Haven for tomatoes. Bill explains to the guy helping out, that I am a 'repeat offender'. Bill knows I will be there, weekly and yearly buying his tomatoes. Today I buy some sungolds and early girls. Sungolds are incredibly sweet cherry tomatoes, that Whyboy eats like candy. Next is Fountain Prairie for grass fed beef, I choose a flank steak for tonight's dinner. On the first leg of the square I picked up corn, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries.


At Jones Valley Farm I buy mesculn mix. I am totally addicted to their greens. As the winter wears on I actually find myself dreaming about them. They are so succulent, with a slight bite. Paired with feta, strawberries and a simple vinaigrette (my current favorite salad), heavenly!


I treat myself to a bunch of flowers every week from Bill and Julie. Today Julie tells me that their daughter got engaged, I tell her that I know a good place for flowers and laugh...the flowers for my wedding came from their farm.

One of the rewards of being an early market shopper is that you get the good stuff. At Blue Skies Berry Farm, I was rewarded with their only raspberries of the week, much to my friend, G's, dismay. I did offer to share a few. They also had haricot verts, tender little green beans...are you hungry yet?

I picked up some raw honey at Blue Valley farms. My breakfast most mornings consists of yogurt, berries and honey. At Hook's cheese, I picked up some Farmer's cheese. Tony and Julie are award winning cheese makers. Their 12 year cheddar is amazing, just ask my dad. I bring it to him when I visit, and he rations it out to us, because it is "for good." Along the way I picked up sugar snap peas, basil and other veggies.


Remember I mentioned the feta in my salad....well, that feta comes from Butler's Farm. Janet makes lovely sheep's milk cheeses. Sheep's milk feta is divine, very creamy with a bit of a salty, briny bite. She also sells the most incredible eggs...with deep yellow-orange yolks. I also pick up some brebis, a fresh cheese. We chat a bit about knitting and spinning, and I almost forget to pay.
I thought I was done shopping, but some black cap raspberries caught my eye...with the last of my cash, I bought them. Their flavor is so delicate, and they are wondrous in my morning yogurt.
Tonight's dinner will be entirely local: flank steak, potatoes, salad, and grilled baby zucchini. It is the kind of meal I try to prepare most of the time. Growing up we enjoyed the bounty of my grandfathers' gardens. I remember waiting for the first tomatoes for a tomato sandwich (my favorite summer lunch), shucking peas, beet greens with little beets, and filling the pantry with pickles and canned goods. We picked strawberries, black berries and wild blueberries for jams and to freeze. As I grew older I started going to farmer's markets. Living in Madison I am spoiled by the prevalence and abundance of locally grown foods. I enjoy knowing where my food comes from and developing a relationship with the people who grow my food. The local food movement is growing, I don't want to sound preachy, but if you are interested may I suggest: The Omnivore's Dilemma, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, or Fields of Plenty.

Now off to spin, more on that later.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...everything sounds delicious. Now you've made me hungry! Many of our farmers' markets have been closed this year because of a local city workers' strike. I love to buy fresh local food, too, and luckily with the local food movement growing our grocery stores are starting to carry more local, seasonal produce. Good, but not as personal. Hope you enjoy your yummy dinner!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this looks a lot like my farmers market in a little town right out of New Orleans.We have beautiful veggies right now but,it is really humid this time of year so you have to shop quick.Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Madison farmer's market fan too, but 6:30am? No way! It's funny that you wrote about this because I'm about to mention it on my blog too. But I don't know the farmers and I only focus on two of the streets to get veggies. We always pick up scones from one of the bakery stands or a wad of Stella's Spicy Cheese Bread. Oh so tasty. Then get an iced tea to drink with it. Heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit of a Farmer's Market geek.

    ReplyDelete